Across Iowa, fertilizer and soil amendments are prescribed according to recommendations developed by Iowa State University research and are based on the results of soil samples tested by labs certified to operate in the state. The integrity of nutrient management is based on the accurate analysis of soil pH, buffer pH, phosphorus and potassium that are used to generate these recommendations.
In the interest of encouraging greater nutrient management and the use of soil testing the Iowa Nutrient Research & Education Council (Iowa-NREC) has created the Iowa Soil Laboratory Performance Program (ISLPP) to evaluate and document the performance of these tests by the labs:
- The program consists of standard reference soil samples that have been reconstituted to resemble field soil samples and submitted to the laboratories as routine grower samples.
- This is called a ‘double blind’ program whereby laboratory participants will not know when these samples arrive nor what are the expected values when they are analyzed.
- Soil samples will be submitted to participating Iowa labs once during the spring season and twice during the fall season and used to assess the overall performance of each laboratory over the course of the soil testing year.
- Laboratory results will be compiled, their performance evaluated, and results (anonymous) reviewed.
- The Agricultural Laboratory Testing Association (ALTA) is administering the program, evaluation of the results and consulting with the labs on corrective actions.
- Questions on the program should be referred to Dr. Robert Miller: Rmiller@soiltesting.us or Robert.firstname.lastname@example.org
Iowa Nutrient Research & Education Council (Iowa-NREC) https://www.iowanrec.org/
Enrollment / Program Costs:
ALP-Enrolled Labs: $1,800 per year
Non-ALP Labs: $2,200 per year
- Double-Blind soil samples will be submitted once in the spring season and twice in the fall season.
- Double-Blind soil results of individual labs will be provided anonymously with completion of the spring and fall sample ISLPP submissions, and a year-end summary.
- Fill out and send the below ISLPP Registration Form to: email@example.com & Robert.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pay via Credit Card. Payment required by May 16, 2023.
- Late Enrollment Fee: $500.
- Use the below link to get to the online payment page. Scroll down past the ALTA membership options to find the IA-NREC / ISLPP options.